Another Animation Attempt {8 + hours later…}

Talk about a loooooooooooooong process.

This animation project took me about eight hours altogether. Seriously. For about forty seconds worth of video (and THAT’s with the second half of the video being just a reversal of the first half!) Between creating the designs, creating the filler frames, an unsuccessfull attempt at exporting the designs from Illustrator to Photoshop (the file was way too big and almost put my seven-year old Mac into cardiac arrest), converting every single one of the one hundred and nine layers to make the file smaller, exporting it to Photoshop AGAIN, playing with the timing of each frame, and then exporting again to Quicktime and the uploading it to YouTube….you know basically know what I did all last weekend. But you know how it goes…catch the bug on any project and there’s no stopping until it’s done.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the first time I tried to export the video I was informed that my Mac’s startup disk was almost full? (I wasn’t 100% sure what that mean other than the fact it sounded rather ominous). That led to another two-hour side trip sifting through my bloated archives and trying decide what could be purged. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a total digital pack rat, and I hang onto pretty much EVERY version of EVERY project I’ve ever created. Zillions of Photoshop and Illustrator files, ten billion photos, thousands of songs, files that I had no idea were still in my download folder going back to 2011….. poor computer. No wonder it’s been so clunky lately.

This project is actually a weird offshoot of another series I’m working on for a friend of mine. I was working on a few different versions of a design for her and after lining them up in a row, I commented that it vaguely reminded me of a cell dividing. I made a mental note that someday I would have to come back to the design and play with it, then promptly forgot about it for the next five moths.

I was sending her some designs last Friday night (don’t judge me), and I came across the images again. I put in a couple of hours of work Saturday morning, and since I had Sunday wide open (you know, except for the cleaning and laundry and four other half-finished painting that I probably SHOULD have done) I managed to get it finished.

Just for fun, here’s the original set of images I made.

grow-original-imagesAll I can say is….WOW. I have major respect for people who are actually good at this and do this for a living. I’m going to venture out there and say that there’s probably a way more efficient I could have/should have done this (I know you can animate in Flash but not gonna lie, it gives me horrific flashbacks to Web Design 2 in college and I HAAAAAAATE Flash) but still, making something seamless takes a heroic amount of time, effort and patience. Still, for a first attempt by someone who had no idea what she was doing, I think this is pretty cool. (Although I’m already itching to go back and fine tune it).